A Light in the Night at St Monica’s by Thomas Anton Ierubino
On 27 October St Monica’s Parish organized an open night of evangelisation and prayer in Hoxton Square. Fr Paul Graham and the Legion of Mary were joined by local residents and guests in candlelit recitation of the rosary. This shining ‘Light in the Night’ attracted the attention of passersby and patrons of the surrounding bar-restaurants who were invited to say a prayer, light a candle, and visit the historic Pugin Church constructed in 1864-65 as a mission of the Irish Augustinians to the East End of London.
The recently renovated facade of the church shone a warm golden colour in the glow of lamps and fairy lights. A statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary surrounded by votive candles, written petitions and colourful flowers was the focal point of the church forecourt. A ‘wall of prayer’ encouraged visitors to leave post-it prayers, words of encouragement and spontaneous intercessions. Both Augustinian friars and Ursuline Sisters were on hand to answer questions about the Catholic faith. In addition, John Woodhouse of the Westminster Interfaith Dialogue Group and other guests provided an outreach service that welcomed local residents and visitors of different faiths to the parish. Refreshments provided by local parishioners were offered to all guests.
Inside the Church the immensely talented young musicians of the Shalom Community provided contemporary devotional worship music during adoration of the Blessed Sacrament and a final recitation of the rosary. A similar even entitled ‘A Prayer in the Square’ will be held on Saturday 15 December 2012. Please pray for its continued success.